The Lord’s Goodness and Faithfulness Chase Me - Psalm 23:5-6



You prepare a feast before me in plain sight of my enemies. You refresh my head with oil; my cup is completely full. Surely your goodness and faithfulness will pursue me all my days, and I will live in the Lord’s house for the rest of my life. Psalms‬ ‭23:5‭-‬6‬ ‭(NET‬‬)

https://bible.com/bible/107/psa.23.5.NET

My mom teaching me to memorize Psalm 23 is one of my earliest and sweetest memories. It’s been over a half century ago, but I think I learned it about when I first started school or just before.

At that age, memorizing feels like so much fun.

I love this image of sitting down to a feast that the Lord has prepared. The idea that He cares for me in such a special way is so joyful and yet so humbling.

Though memorizing the chapter was a good and potent act for me, I wish I could say that I carried it with me at all times. There have been many, many times in my life, even long stretches of time in which I have all but forgotten how special I am to Jesus.

And even now after much unnecessary anguish, I must take care to seek Him and know that he is right here. I easily let it slip away.

The passage tells me that He prepares a feast right in front of my enemies.

So if I “get” what He is saying, my attention must be on Him and His goodness, fully trusting that He has it all in hand. I’m in a good place.

So I grieve the years that I kept my eyes on my enemies instead of the Lord’s goodness. I think those enemies were often more aware of God’s grace toward me than I was.

And I know that He is here comforting me, blessing me.

He refreshes me. And my cup is full.

The idea is that I have what I need and see no end in sight to His goodness.

This is peace. This is contentment. This is knowing that I am dearly loved.

Now I love what the NET translation does next. “Surely you goodness and faithfulness will pursue me.” The NET’s notes show that that word pursue means to chase someone down. These words are normally used for hunting an enemy. But I am NOT God’s enemy. I am Him friend even when I get it wrong.

His goodness and faithfulness chase me down! What! This is so much more than I deserve. He began this process before I even knew His name.

And it was going on in the midst of my mightiest struggles. He was dousing me with mercy even as I forgot him.

The passage goes on to say that I will live with Him for the rest of my life. And as a child of God, he has made my heart His home. He isn’t going anywhere.

Now, I wish that meant that I was never going to experience anxiety, fear, or hopelessness anymore. Even when I do, He is beside me, telling me to humbly cast all my cares on Him (1 Peter 5:6-7).

Enemies all around? What enemies. Sit, relax, and eat. The Hound of Heaven has chased me down. He says, “You forgot something: my grace, mercy, faithfulness.”

I need Him every hour.

Lord, today, I see that you have prepared a feast before me. I relax knowing that You will protect me from my enemies. You have it all in hand. Give me the grace to praise you, to know you are with me. Take my worries. You are sovereign. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3