Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)



As a prisoner in the Lord, then, I urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling you have received: with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, and with diligence to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 
Ephesians 4:1-3 (ESV)

He asks me to be humble, that means there IS a pathway to humility for me. In the passage, He asks me to be gentle. That means that I CAN be gentle. 

Lord, please give me the grace to behave in the way you are asking. You say I can do it. I KNOW that I can't do it through a flesh-push. I can only do it by being Spirit controlled. By being filled with the Spirit.

May my life as a believer be exemplified by these things. May you rule in my heart. May you give me wisdom when I feel that I have none. When I have nothing left.

May I depend upon You. Lord, I ask for your grace upon today.

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

He asks me to be patient. That means that I can be patient. I can know that God works all things in his time. 

Lord, I am not naturally patient. But I am a new creation. That means your Spirit works inside of me. He is doing what only He can do. He does what I can not. I need you. Even when I think I am strong, I must depend upon you. My own strength is but a mist. May I be patient. 

He asks me to bear with others in love. That means that I can do it. He asks me to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 

Lord, help me bear. I can so easily lose it with my brothers and sisters. Even when I don’t tell them, think I’m hiding it. Lord may I truly bear with others in love. Lord, fill me with that love with whatever means you desire to use. May I be willing. 

And this is interesting. Part of the work God has for me to do is to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. That is an idea rich with implications. In other words, the Spirit works in me. But I work for Him. He asks me to be diligent in this work. And it seems that if I am not diligent in this, my actions may affect the unity of the Spirit. Even though He is all powerful, He puts this trust in my hands. And He empowers me to do it. 

Lord, help me with this task you have entrusted with me. I am not able. But with you I am. I can’t do it. You can. In just a few simple words, you ask the impossible. Yet, that’s what you deal in, impossibility. Help me understand what you want from me.

I know that God empowers me to be godly. Humility, gentleness, patience, love, unity and peace: these are godly traits. 

Lord today, I desire to be godly. I desire to be humble. I desire to be gentle. I want to be patient. I want to be loving. I want to preserve the unity through the bond of peace. 

I am not God. I serve Him. I need Jesus. 

Lord, you have called me to this work. May I do your will with diligence and love. 

Lord, you have called me to walk in a worthy manner. Give me the grace to do just that. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3