But the Grace of God - 1 Corinthians 15:10



But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 1 Corinthians 15:10 (CSB)

Paul says, "I am what I am." That’s a statement of acceptance. It’s an important reminder for me too.

Because I can resent what I am and who I am. I can resent my own biography, the stuff that has happened in my life. I can certainly blame people and events for my struggles. 

I am what I am.

But rather than be resentful of who I am, I should be grateful. And I don’t use that word “should” lightly. I don’t like it. It’s a pushy little word isn’t it!

And I think it’s the right word here. See, I should be grateful for who I am.

I recently visited my chiropractor. He has worked on a number my family members. And he started to list the blessings I have. And it was humbling.

God was using him. And I am grateful.

Here's what happened: in that doctors office, I spoke of some of the difficult details of my youth. He didn't say it in so many words, but I think he could see that I might be resenting my life. So he let me know about these blessings.

And here’s what I know: blessings come in all shapes and sizes. They don’t always come with a label on them that says this is a blessing.

Ever known someone who had an anger problem and overcame it?

Or an alcoholic who has found sobriety and recovery?

Or a couple who were headed for divorce and reconciled to be a loving picture of marriage?

I have. And they are beautiful people. 

Their troubles were blessings. For in those troubles and overcoming them, they learned that those hardships did not need to knock them out. 

There was a way out. And they weren't usually the ones responsible for figuring the way out. 

Often, the way out is a change in thinking.

I’ve been learning something about myself. I can get agitated about things that I don’t need to get agitated about. In fact, I sometimes even plan to get agitated.  That’s not very productive is it! But it’s true. You know, it's like when you know you're going to see that certain person at work, or at a meeting and the grumble thoughts come on strong. And the bad thing is this: when you repeat thoughts over and over, they become patterns. They become character.

Then, we need to do that hard work of learning how to process those angry thoughts differently, learn how to catch ourselves at them and how to say the things to ourselves that replace those toxic thoughts.

I am what I am. Thank you Lord!

And your grace toward me is not in vain. I see that work you are doing. I see that I am learning. I see that I am behaving differently little by little. And I am grateful. For in that better behavior, I know that it is only by your grace that I am figuring it out.

Lord, I am grateful for who I am today. I am grateful for all of the mess ups I’ve made. I am grateful that you are a healer of minds, bodies, and souls. I need your healing. I need your mercy. I need your grace. Lord, give me the grace to keep submitting to your will, humbly. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3