You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22


You caused me to experience many troubles and misfortunes, but you will revive me again. You will bring me up again, even from the depths of the earth. You will increase my honor and comfort me once again. Therefore, I will praise you with a harp for your faithfulness, my God; I will sing to you with a lyre, Holy One of Israel. Psalm 71:20-22

This verse makes my head spin around and say, “Wait, what did that just say?”

The Psalmist, talking to God says, “You caused me to experience many troubles and misfortunes.”

God caused. Not the devil.

In my imagination, when I hurt, I can wrongly think that God is far away from me. I can think He wishes I wasn’t going through it.

That’s not what the verse says.

God causes my troubles and misfortune. That’s heavy. 

And of course He loves me. How can I get those ideas to synch together?

Here’s the question: Why would a loving God do such a thing?

Here’s my thought: over and over in the Bible God tells His covenant people to depend on Him. This must be one of the MOST important things for his children to understand and do or He wouldn't keep saying it!

And so often, when trouble and misfortune come my way, I silently suggest that He back off. Or devoid of faith, I think, “Lord, you have left me alone on this one,” or “My hurts must not be on your radar today.” 

And that just is not true. He is with me right now, no matter what I am going through. Right now.

He designed the test.

I have a notion that everything is a formative test from the Lord, the good and the bad. Hey, it’s often in the good times that I struggle to depend on Him the most.

I am made for fellowship with Him in the good and the bad. When I have the attitude exemplified in this Psalm, I am seeking His fellowship. Seeking it out even when I am miserable. He is the treasure. 

When I hurt, I am to cry out. The Lord answers. 

The God who made me, who loves me and died for me, answers. 

What? 

He does answer. He is not pushing me away. 

I notice that the Psalmist in the verse has a solid confidence in the Lord: “But You will revive me again.”

“You will bring me up, even from the depths of the earth.”

He is in a bad way, But He knows that God is with Him. In POWER.

And because he knows this, even in the midst of misfortune, he will sing, make music and praise the Lord.

1. He hurts. 2. He tells the Lord and reveals that he knows the Lord designed the hurt. 3. He declares that the Lord will rescue him. 4. He sings and praises the Lord for what He will do. 

How do I KNOW this is a model for me to follow?

Because, it is scripture, sure. But even more, it’s a Psalm. This was written for God’s people to sing again and again. To have these words at the fingertips of their hearts.

Lord, I acknowledge your work in the hurts I have. You caused it. Why? Because I and your people need it. Though I am your precious child, I can go through my day and pay little notice of You. That is not your plan for me. Lord, help me especially in the midst of this hurt. Revive me. You are sovereign. You are enthroned over the flood. You are beautiful and glorious. I am not God. I serve You. Today. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3