Weak and Worthless Elements - Galatians 4:9

 

But now, since you know God, or rather have become known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elements? Do you want to be enslaved to them all over again? Galatians 4:9 

Believers, children of God, those called by him to be holy, slip sometimes.

I certainly do.

I can slip in two general ways; neither of them is about depending on God.

I can slip by just letting go and ignore being godly.

I can give into my flesh. This always nips my behind when I go there. I can laugh and seemingly enjoy it for a minute; then, it’s like some iron gate clashes, closes in my face, leaving me foolish and stupid.

And then, if I’m still stupid, I try to work my way into God’s good graces, so He’ll talk to me again. Of course the bible tells me to draw near to God and He will draw near to me. And really, I think that’s just an awareness. God is already with me. But if I am acknowledging the relationship I have with God, if I am seeking Him, if I am looking for Him, if I am humbly grieved by my sin, He makes His presence, which was already there (because He didn’t go anywhere), He makes it known. I don’t have to perform some sort of righteous act to get His attention. He’s right here.

And when I read the context of this passage, it looks to me like that’s the Galatian church’s struggle. They want to check off all the right boxes to be loved by God. They think God cares about those checkmarks.

The irony is this: Jesus already checked off all the boxes. And turned in the paperwork.

And that makes me want to live holy. He purchased my pardon.

Sure it sounds like a lot of fun to let it rip and just live like a sinner.

But that’s slavery to my flesh. Sin is fun for a season. Then, it is complete and utter misery.

And to try to live like I’m making some spiritual accountant happy, that’s slavery too.

Here’s what’s not slavery: walking with Jesus. Now, does that involve living by faith and making holy choices?

Yes. In a nutshell, it’s a humble walk with Him. By the way, it’s not a humiliating walk. I am a child of God. He has blessed me with every spiritual blessing in the heavens.

God did not call me to be a forget-it-all sinner nor a self-righteous man.

He called me to walk with him. In the Spirit. In the light.

When I carry out the desires of the flesh, I’m not walking with Him. And when I try to work my way “back” into his good graces, I’m also not walking with Him.

When I humbly depend on Him, that’s when I’m walking. That’s who I want to be today.

Lord, may I not abuse your grace. May I humbly seek you. May I draw near to you in whatever you have called me to do. May I depend upon you. For I am prone to live like a sinner, or try to work my way into your grace. They are both slavery. Depending on you is freedom. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3