The Lord is My Shield: a Prayer Devotional- Psalm 3:1-4

 Lord , how my foes increase! There are many who attack me. Many say about me, “There is no help for him in God.” Selah But you, Lord , are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts up my head. I cry aloud to the Lord , and he answers me from his holy mountain. Psalm 3:1-4

I am a child of the one true king. And He has gifted me with numerous prayers from the bible which can guide me in prayer. In fact, I can use all kinds of scripture to guide me in talking to God. 

Today, Psalm 3 is my guide.

Lord, how my foes increase! There are many who attack me.

Jesus, today, there are many who more and more arrogantly attack your church, your bride. I am a member of that justified body. I need you in these attacks. They call for ungodly and unholy laws and make unrighteous pronouncements. They take your children to court. 

Jesus, there are also my own thought foes which I can carry around inside my head. They spring upon me when I am weak. They accuse me. They tell me that you are far away and not listening. Yet your word tells me You are are with me. 

Many say about me, “There is no help for him in God.

These same mockers who scorn your people and your name, both the ones in the world that make the news and the ones in my head which I have replayed over and over again since childhood, say that you aren’t going to help me. I’m on my own. I must figure it out on my own. But I know and declare right now that this is not true. You have called me and you are working on me. You take care of me and all of your children. 

But you, Lord , are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts up my head.

God Almighty, you are a shield around me. When the evil arrows fly, you are already by my side. LORD, give me the grace to know that when I am distressed. The song says, “It may look like I’m surrounded, but I’m surrounded by You!” I trust you. Today. 

Not only are you my shield, you are my glory. Can I even comprehend the blessing in this? Barely! You lift my head. You empower me in the battle. You give me grace to speak the truth in love to worldly attacks. And you lovingly help me rewrite the wrong recordings that play on repeat in my mind. 

Yes, You lift my head. When I am humble, you answer. You even send mighty angels to fight on my behalf when needed. 

I cry aloud to the Lord , and he answers me from his holy mountain.

I cry to you Lord. And you answer me. Who am I that you should answer me? I’ve done nothing to gain your ear. Yet you have picked me up and put me on your lap and asked me to tell you of things good and miserable. You have told me that I am yours and no one can snatch me away from you. You reassure me in the day of trouble. And I am grateful. 

Lord, Jesus, you are my glory and the lifter of my head. I pray that you use this Psalm to give me good and holy words to speak to you when I am in trouble, when I am attacked from without and within. Your grace is sufficient for me. Blessed be the Name of the LORD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3