The Greatest Gift - Colossians 1:21-22

 



Once you were alienated and hostile in your minds as expressed in your evil actions. But now he has reconciled you by his physical body through his death, to present you holy, faultless, and blameless before him... Colossians 1:21-22

Am I faultless?

Alienated from God. Hostile to Him. Yes, I was once those things. And, to be honest, sometimes I forget myself and act like I am alienated from Him and hostile to Him now.

That's silly and even tragic when I do. Because even as a believer it gets expressed as evil actions. It happened to David who got his friend's wife pregnant and then tried to cover it up by having him murdered.

David was a godly man who allowed himself to drift into an alienated and hostile state of mind.

But the point of this verse is that, I don't have to act the alienated part. I have been reconciled to God by his work on the cross.

This is so I can be holy. Set apart.

And faultless. Hang on. That doesn't sound like me at all. I have my faults.

Cleanses Me From All Sin

But even though I have faults, I get presented to God as faultless because Jesus' work on the cross cleanses me from all sin.

And blameless. That means in the court of heaven, no one gets to point the finger at me and say, "He did it."

That's because Jesus paid my debt that I incurred through my hostility.

It is only because of this holy, faultless, and blameless condition that I can turn to Him when I'm a mess. He says, "Come here. You are clean. I will help you."

He helps me in my mess. And I can confess my sin, and accept His love and forgiveness. This is the greatest gift in the world. And I get to enjoy it, today.

Lord, you have saved me from Hell which is everlasting alienation from You. I am no longer naturally alienated nor hostile. I get to come into your presence, boldly and ask you for things. Lord, today, help me remember that I am your child, that you have cleaned me from the inside out, and that I am holy, faultless, and blameless before you. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22