Continue to Walk - Colossians 2:6-7

 



So then, just as you have received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to walk in him, being rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and overflowing with gratitude.
Colossians 2:6-7

It's Relational

As a believer, I have received Christ Jesus as Lord. He rules. That's what a Lord does.

Now, what does it mean to continue to walk. This is relational. It's not just about checking off the right boxes: pray, read my bible, go to church. Those things are part of the relationship, not outside of the relationship with Him.

I have sometimes just checked off the boxes. And when I "believe" like that, it all becomes a burden. I can't handle it.

But if I walk with Him, if I seek His presence, if I seek His will, it seems easy. It feels joyful.

As You Were Taught

There's a progressive nature to this relationship with the Lord. The verse says, "being rooted and built up in him and established in the faith." That's not an overnight event. Also, words like 'continue' and 'being rooted' suggest this is an ongoing process. The verse sounds very much like it is saying that I need to keep after it. Don't just let it happen; get after it.

Then it says, "just as you were taught."

Now, this is the Apostle Paul talking to a church. He knows that they were taught the truth. That's not always true for me. In fact, I have certainly sat under some men who harmed their flock.

Of course we have the Word. Even then, the apostles warn about those who lie. I must learn the word so that I know what being rooted and built up looks like.

I'm supposed to work at it and cultivate an attitude of gratitude, weed out the bad unfaithful thoughts, nourish thankful ones.

When things in my life look chaotic, I get tipped over easily. My desire is to remember the powerfully humble man that the Lord has made me. That He has made me new. So I can think and act like it.

Lord, teach me to continue walking in you. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22