Through the Spirit - Romans 8:11-13

 


But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit that lives in you. Therefore, brothers, we are debtors not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if through the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. Romans 8:11-13

He Gives Life

What is happening in me because I'm a believer?

He lives in me. I mean, that is wild, isn't it? We hear that all the time as Christians. And for me, I think it is important to slow down and remember what that means. More specifically, the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead lives in me, but I barely give this attention.

I'm not badmouthing myself here. I'm stating a fact. Why? Because I want this to resonate in my every thought and action. I want to welcome Him, not take Him for granted.

And the verse says that He gives life to my mortal body. I do not have a deep understanding of what that means, but I know this: He's doing something wonderful all the time whether I notice or not.

I Can

Now, I don't owe anything to the flesh. I don't have to live according to the flesh anymore. I CAN live through the Spirit who is actually there.

Yet, I can still (stupidly) live according to my flesh. The verse is telling me, warning me to not do that.

And through the Spirit, I CAN put to death the deeds of the body. Any believer CAN do this. I can. My pastor can. The guy in the next pew over from me can. The brand new believer can. The backslidden one who is waking up can. Today.

I don't have to jump through some kind of hyper spiritual hoops to start living according to the Spirit. I ask God. I do it by His grace. He's right here inside of me! I can do it now.

Today, I am living according to the Spirit, by His grace.

Lord, help me to live according to your will, by your Spirit, today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22