A Believer Who Sins - 1 John 1:8-9

 



If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:8-9

Falling

I am not a sinner who believes. I am a believer who sins. Maybe that's splitting hairs, but I don't think so. I am a believer. That is my definition. I am a child of the one true king.

Yet, I sin. Every stinking day. And there are times when I don't admit it. That's denial.

Then, God in his holiness, removes that peace and hope that I get when I obey.

What I love about this scripture is that it lays it right out there: I am going to sin.

Now what?

Say the Truth About My Sin

I must confess, which means to say the truth about my sin. I must repent which is to turn from my sin. When I confess, he is faithful to His promise. He forgives.

And this is interesting: it is just for him to forgive me. Why? Because I am a child of God, not a sinner. See the sin actually washes off. My sins were nailed to the cross.

When I confess, there is a cleansing process that happens. Oh what mercy!

I don't deserve it, but because He bought me, he is right to forgive me and cleanse me. There aren't words to adequately describe the riches of this gift.

Lord, you are my God. Earnestly, I seek you. You love with a love that is beyond my ability to comprehend. You died for my sins. Thank you. I am yours. Give me the gift of conviction and the grace to confess to you. And the sense to accept your love and forgiveness. To walk in the light. Lord, may I be filled with the Holy Spirit today, in power, in love, and wisdom. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3