Turn to Me - Psalm 119:132-133



Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your practice toward those who love your name. Make my steps steady through your promise; don’t let any sin dominate me. Psalms 119:132-133

I get to ask God to be gracious to me.

I know the Lord. He has brought me up out of darkness into His glorious light. But sometimes I feel like one groping around in the darkness.

I can wonder if He has forgotten me in all His busy schedule. 

He hasn't.

He knows what I'm going through. I must ask for His help. That's how this relationship works.

And I want to learn to say to Him, in the moment, "Turn to me and be gracious to me." I find this model prayer to be so powerful for me.

David (the writer of this verse) is a child of God. I am a child of God too. I get to ask God to be gracious to me too. 

I'm addressing the maker and savior of everything and asking Him to be gracious to me

God rules.

And David is asking from the perspective of knowing that he is a believer who sins. He calls himself "one who loves God's name." Yet, he also asks that God not let a sin dominate him.

I too love His name. I too blow it. I need His help to keep my steps steady. Sometimes they are all over the place, slipping on the path, busting my knee open like a careless ten year old boy.

I get to ask him to make my steps steady. This is a kind of confession. It's saying Lord I need you to even walk steady through this life. I need you to keep me from sinning. Without you, I sin.

I find it relieving that the verse acknowledges that there will be sin. I'm not going to wipe it all out. Sin is part of my training. I need to deal with it straight away, today. Whether I feel like I'm so gone that I'll never get out or if I feel like I'm walking close to the Lord. Even when I am close to Him, sin can creep in.

And I know that this sin or that sin can take hold and now I'm acting like a slave when really I am a son of God.  So I get to ask Him to not let it rule me. He rules, not the sin. 

Lord, help me act like the son of God I am today. Help me be wise in my dealings with your creation. Turn to me and be gracious. You are with me. You have work for me. May I work with a loving and joyful heart. Today.

Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3