The Old Way of Life - Ephesians 4:21-24

 



Surely you heard of Him and were taught in Him--in keeping with the truth that is in Jesus-- to put off your former way of life, your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be renewed in the spirit of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:21-24

Being Sanctified

I am a believer. So, I am putting off my former way of life, my old self (today). I know when I was saved, I put off the former self, I was renewed. I was justified. An act done by God in the courts of heaven. Amen.

Yet, I am still being sanctified. And the Holy Spirit does that in me too. It is too much. I am drawn back to my old self. But He is there gently calling me to put off, put off, put off. Daily.

My "adamnish" doesn't just vanish. Jesus is scrubbing, washing, cleansing.

But this verse tells me what it looks like from my end. He tells me to put off my former way of life.

And I am a believer. If he (He) tells me to do it, I can.

Deceitful Desires

I do have deceitful desires. They are deceitful because they masquerade as righteousness. The only way I can tell the difference between light and dark is to hold them up to the light of scripture, to pray, to listen to God, to hear the Word preached, to fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Paul says to be renewed in the spirit of my mind. He tells me to do that. So I can.

I stop with the notion that I can't. This holy word says I can. Who am I to listen to the deceitful whisper that says I can't. That's a lie. I can. I am. He IS sanctifying me. Right now. I am being renewed in the spirit of my mind. Right now. It is happening.

I am putting on the new self. Right now.

Seventy Times Seven

And this clause knocks me right over... I am created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

I don't ever remember having that fill my soul like it does today. I am created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. When I am holy and righteous, I am acting WITH my creation, not against it. The Holy Spirit is right there doing it in me.

Will I pick up the old self and put it on again? My history says yes I will. That's me speaking the truth in love to myself. And what do I do when I am convicted. Not run away from God. But run to Him. Confessing. Accepting His supernatural love and forgiveness. Seventy times seven.

Lord, may this holy word sink into me and do it's work in me today. May I walk in the light, filled with the Spirit. Living in holiness and righteousness. Knowing brand new what that means. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22