Teach Me to Do Your Will - Psalm 143:10

 



Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; may Your good spirit lead me onto level ground. Psalms 143:10

Desire to Obey

Doing God's will didn't just come to me magically when I was reborn, but my desire to obey began to emerge.

The Psalmist says, "Teach me..." Why? Because it has to be taught; It doesn't come in an instant download to my software.

But good news. The Lord himself is my teacher. He is patient, loving, and kind. And really, He's the only one who can get through my thick skull.

Of course, He uses means to teach me. Like regular reading of the bible. Also sermons preached and books written by godly men. Even an off hand comment from a child can work into my soul.

Without Anxiety

Here's another thing I learn from this verse: I get to ask Him to teach me. See, this is the Psalmist's prayer request. Some might say, "Oh, that's just HIS prayer, I don't get to use it."
I reason differently. This is part of God's inspired word, and furthermore, the Psalms were written for Israel and the church to sing over and over again, so that it would penetrate and live in the very marrow of their bones, and by extension, my bones too.
I like the parallel comment in the verse: May your good spirit lead me onto level ground. What a beautiful picture of what it is like for me to do the will of God. I'm not fighting the very landscape, but I'm walking with Him, without anxiety.
How often life seems like heavy lifting. The prayer here is to remove so many of the obstacles to living a holy life. The kernel of that prayer is a heartfelt desire to do His will. To enjoy it even.
Lord, teach me to do Your will, today. "I need Thee, oh, I need Thee, every hour I need Thee." I need You to be my teacher. And according to this verse, You want me to ask you to be my teacher. Please be my teacher! I desire to walk on level, solid ground. Obedient. Joyful. Kind. Loving. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22