Fear Not: Easy for You to Say! - Isaiah 35:4

 

Say to those who have an anxious heart, “Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.” Isaiah 35:4

Seems Like a Rotten Thing to Say to an Anxious Person

I find it fascinating and annoying that the scripture often says, "Fear not."

At first, it seems like such a rotten thing to say to someone who is anxious! Just stop that freight train of anxiety. Stop it. But it's a FREIGHT TRAIN. I can't stop it.

Still, I believe the Word with all my heart. When I read seemingly impossible commands in scripture, I must be missing something. I'll confess this today: I have consistently downplayed the potential of the power of God in my life.

Yet His power abides. He might tell me that I'm not realizing blessings because I'm not forgiving, staying angry, or even holding on to shame when He died for my sin. Even then He works.

Here's the thing I've noticed.

He's usually simply asking me to listen and act. Yet, I'm like a thirteen year old who just asked a question and then immediately got distracted by the drool coming off a classmate's chin. Then, He holds me by my chin like my mom used to do to get my attention.

Doses of Hope and Faith

Here's what I think He's saying: be strong and fear not, but NOT ON MY OWN POWER. Trust His power. Right now. Say true things about His faithfulness.

He isn't coming in softly to help. Nope. He comes with vengeance, with strength, with power. That's the truth.

In Isaiah, His people were oppressed by an army. My issues are usually the knots in my own head. But for the purposes of dishing off this anxiety, let's assume my anxiety is the enemy. He comes in to deal with that just like He comes against an army. To deliver.

He doesn't magically make it all go away; I get doses of hope and faith. One day at a time. And one day at a time, he heals me.

Lord, build my faith today. May I cast all my cares on you, because you show lovingkindness to me. I trust you, today. Lord, fill me with all the hope I can handle. I want to be all-in. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3