What Joy is This? - James 1:2-4

 


My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4


A believer believes God. I am a believer. When I hear God's word, there is confirmation in my heart that this is true. Still, I forget or ignore what God has to say (Lord, help me).


Just because I am a Child of God, does not mean that God makes all things easy. In fact, sometimes it is the opposite. Things get harder than I can bear. But I can bear it. I can. 


There are all kinds of trials. And a lot of them are home grown in my own heart. I can plant and water a lie in my mind, or maybe it is even demonically planted there, either way, I can tend that lie like it's a precious fruit. 


And then, I read the word and know it for what it is. And God pulls that lie out like a weed.


There are also trials that come from family. Hurt people, hurt people. I've been the one who was hurt and the hurter. 


Trials come from culture. Some come in the form of temptation. Hollywood lights me up with temptations. The leaders of the land also pass unholy laws and make ungodly decisions that affect me. 


And all these kinds of trials produce patience, endurance, steadfastness in me, faith! Maybe it's like when I go to the gym. I feel muscle pain, shortness of breath. But I get stronger. 


And James says to "let patience have its perfect (maturing) work in me." I'm not fully sure how I let that happen. But I am sure that my attitude and my thoughts are part of it. When trials come, I can ask God for help, not just grind it out. I can reach out to believers. How stupid of me to just try to handle it all by myself!


In all of this, He makes me complete, lacking nothing. It's a process. I am a believer. He said it. I believe it. Today. Now. 


Lord, help me believe you. Help me see trials for what they are. Give me godly, holy, humble wisdom to mature and be your man.


Blessed be the Name of the Lord.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3