Endure Temptation - James 1:12



Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.  James 1:12


There are days when I feel like I have no weapon against temptation. I give in over and over. Every worldly sparkle catches my eye.


I think it starts because I give in on something I think is small. I let my temper flare. Or I boasted about something. Or I took a quick look when I shouldn't have. 


Or I invite Hollywood, or rock and roll in to teach me. I think - I got this. I can turn it off if it gets bad, or I'm not going to behave like the guy in the song. 

I don't got this. 


And I don't behave just like him. But because I've been listening to it, I want to. And now I'm struggling. And I forget that I invited this in. 


Now, I have a fight on my hands. I'm muddy and wounded. 


(Yet, He is still with me.)


And sometimes, I think - What's the point in fighting, I'm just going to lose this battle. I might as well just give in. 


That's a lie from the pit of Hell. 


I have fought against the Lord in my weakness. As soon as I feel that marvelous conviction, I must run to him. Giving in to the temptation is always a mistake. 

And even when this fight is harder than anything I can imagine, when it's more than I can bare, He shows me how to escape. But He wants me to ask Him. He wants me to engage with Him. He wants to lead me. 


The notion in my head that says I can't listen to Him, or He is through with me, is not true. He is right here with me even when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. 


Lord help me recognize temptation. Help me take it seriously. Help me run to you for help. May I trust you! Fill me with your Spirit today. Let me walk in the light. Fill me with hope. I want to serve you. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22