Perfect Law of Liberty - James 1:25

 


But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. James 1:25 (NKJV)

Not a Forgetful Hearer

I am blessed by God's grace. And I ask Him for it.

I must shower in the Word. I must read and pray in the Spirit, asking the Holy Spirit to teach me as I read.

Alright, I can do that. I can look into the perfect law of liberty.

"...is not a forgetful hearer..." Uh, I obviously need to confess. I am often a forgetful hearer. It hurts to admit it. Still, I'm hopeful. Because in His sanctifying work, He is doing it in me. I see it. I am being built up. I am remembering. I do some of what I hear.

Okay, so I need to hear it 25 times before it begins to sink in! That's why I must soak in the Word over and over and over. 

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."

Forgiving and Gracious

I must read it. Hear it preached. Read the works of godly men. And fellowship with other believers who love the Word too.

Yet, I sometimes think I don't need to saturate myself in all of that. I get full of myself. Or my hurts, habits, and hang-ups fly up in my face, taunting me, telling me there is no point to reading it. 

Still, I learn, I return, I confess. He is forgiving and gracious.

Now, I'm in position to not be a forgetful hearer. The Holy Spirit speaks to me through His word. He moves me into action. Often, I find myself doing what I didn't do before. Sometimes, I am afraid and jump in because He tells me to do it. Daily, I go to Him, asking for His grace. And He opens the door of my willingness.

I am His child. He encourages me by the power of His Word. When I fail. He helps me through the pain of my failure. He encourages me again. 

And, He blesses me. 

Lord, may I be changed by the perfect law of liberty, and continue in it. I don't want to be a forgetful hearer. Lord, give me your grace today to hear and continue. I desire to be a doer of your word. Lord, I pray that you answer my prayer with more than I can ask or hope for today. I am not You. I serve you. I ask for your blessings. All good gifts come from you. Blessed be the Name of the Lord. Today.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22