This is the Work of God - John 6:28-29

 


Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” John 6:28-29

Who am I in Christ? I am a believer. I believe what He says.

But wait, do I?

Yes, but only by His grace, for when left to my own thinking, I either think I’m a cowboy/superhero who can jump in and do God’s work, or I run away scared like a cockroach in the light.

I do believe by His grace.

When Paul’s jailer in the book of Acts, trembling asked, “What must I DO to be saved? Paul said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.” Believe.

Back to the passage from John 6 the question is different: What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” But the answer is the same.

Jesus answered, “This is the work of God — believe.” Believe.

Belief is special. Belief is powerful.

And unlike what pagan Americans say, we can’t just believe in whatever sort of power we want; we must believe in Jesus.

Who am I in Christ? I am a believer. I am not by definition a doubter.

Can I say it with a straight face, without hesitation?

I am a believer. I believe in the Lord Jesus. Why? Because He has done a special work in me.

Look at it again. It says, “This is the work of God that you believe…”

In the same chapter of John, chapter 6 verse 44, Jesus says, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.”

It’s not an “I do.”

It’s a He did it. And now, in agreement with Him, I say it too.

My friend, it is a special work of God that I believe, that you believe. It is in fact a miracle.

Do I doubt sometimes? I’m not going to lie. Yes I doubt. But even so, I am a believer.

Though doubts crash against me like so many waves of the sea, yet my belief comes on stronger than before.

Who am I in Christ? I am a believer. And that is special. Is it a miracle that I believe? 

Hey, it took a special work of the Holy Spirit to soften my heart of stone. This is a work that only God does.

Lord, I confess my doubt. My darkness. You are calling me out of the darkness into your marvelous light. It is your work that I believe. I trust you. I am yours. I am not God. I am your man. I matter to you. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3