Light of the World - John 8:12



Jesus spoke to them again: “I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

Catch My Drift

I am a child of God, yes!

And it’s beautiful.

Yet, sometimes I stray. I drift. I wander. Maybe just a little ways at first. Then, I can find myself so far, so fast that I wonder what hit me. I just walk off like a two year old in the mall.

But there’s a thing that happens. When I get used to walking in the light, I understand it better, I look for it, I breath it. I believe Jesus is with me. I see because of the light.

And I can start to see my drift.

And because of my memory of deep and lasting hurt, I can go back, seeking him, knowing that I certainly can depend upon Him. At all times. Every single day, good or bad.

So at my best, I encourage, in my spirit, a quick return to Him when I’ve gone off.

A Friend With All of the Answers

And at my best, those wanderings get smaller.

And I can only see this because Jesus is the light of the world. And I follow Him.

I have the light of life, even when I don’t think I do! His power lives in me.

Now, having the light of life does not mean a life without trials. There certainly are trials, tests. But I am reminded that Jesus is there in the trial. It’s like taking an algebra test, but I have a friend sitting next to me who will tell me all the answers. It’s like I’m cheating. Only I’m not cheating. He’s the one who makes the rule. I get to ask Him for help with all of it.

I simply need to remember that He is with me all the time, forever. Am I making too much of the verse? I think not.

I’ll quote the apostle John here to prove it. He says, “Anyone who follows me will NEVER walk in darkness.” Never.

I Have the Light of Life

Now, I might go around like a foolish child with my eyes closed until I trip over some shoes that I easily could have seen in the light which was shining the whole time. I didn’t have to fall.

Why? Because I follow Jesus. I don’t walk in darkness. I have the light of life.

Even on those days that feel like the world just caved in.

Jesus is with me. His rod and staff comfort me.

Jesus, I follow you. You are the light of the world and you share this light. I don’t walk in darkness. I have the light of life. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3