Beating Temptation - Hebrews 2:17-18

 



Therefore, he had to be like his brothers and sisters in every way, so that he could become a merciful and faithful high priest in matters pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people. For since he himself has suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted. Hebrews 2:17-18

It feels like He's mad at me.

I get tempted.

And this verse says that I suffer when tempted. Suffer. That means it is trying, testing, difficult. I can't wave my hand and make it go away.

But in other scripture He says He will never leave me nor forsake me.

He is with me. But it doesn't feel that way. It feels like He's mad at me or not really paying attention. Both are wrong. When I get tempted, it doesn't mean that he's mad nor absent.

It's a test. And He is there with me.

And it can be so hard to trust that. When that temptation comes, it is important for me to turn to Him, and really, that might feel like the last thing I want to do in that moment.

Learning to Seek Him

If I can remember that He wants to help me through it, I will learn to seek Him in those very difficult times. When I know that He was tempted, and that He suffered in that temptation, I can turn to Him.

We see Jesus' temptation after he was in the wilderness for 40 days. We know that He was hungry. Satan used His natural need for food as a hook.

Jesus quoted scripture to combat each bout of temptation. He turned to the Father.

The verse says He is able to help those who are tempted. He helps me. I'm not supposed to just sweat it out on my own. Scripture is one way I can reach out to Him. I can also ask my friends to help me in times of temptation. I have found that when I tell trusted believing friends what I'm going through, that takes much of the steam out of the temptation.

Of course I can pray, "Lord help me through this. I am tempted to...."

Lord, help me through temptation today. I can't do it on my own. I need your steadfast love. Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22