My Weakness. His Power. - 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

 



But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me. So I take pleasure in weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and in difficulties, for the sake of Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Boast About My Weakness

His grace is plenty for me. His power is perfected in my weakness.

What a concept! Good then, because I have plenty of that to go around!

I will boast about my weaknesses: pride, jealousy, anger, worry, lack of faith, self pity. Boy, it stings for me to write that list. And of course there are more.

But the verse says to BOAST about them! Why? So that His power may reside in me.

I want that.

Then, the writer of the verse really lays in on thick. He also says he takes pleasure in insults. I'm going to stop right there for a sec. Because I usually read through this verse like a motorcar. Insults? Really. Takes pleasure?

Pleasure in insults!

What a God I have, who can take an angry son like me and turn me into someone who takes pleasure in insults! He did it in the apostle Paul. He can surely work it in me too.

And He is still working. See, I don't do well with insults. I tend to take myself far too seriously. But here's the thing: Jesus has got my back. He CAN teach me how to take pleasure in them.

A fool’s displeasure is known at once, but whoever ignores an insult is sensible. (Proverbs 12:16)

And He's making me strong. When I understand that, I really can take pleasure in insults, hardships, persecutions, and more. For the sake of Christ.

When my course is set on Jesus, "When I am weak, then I am strong." That's not American math; that's Jesus' Calculus.

Jesus, I want to be like you. This is how you did it. Take my pride. I lay it down at your feet today. I believe you. I believe that your power is perfected in my weakness. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22