Being Content

 



Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6

Though Winds of Trouble Blow

What a blessing is contentment! Not hassled, not feeling anxious, though the winds of trouble blow, content.

That comes straight from the Lord.

And my godliness comes from Him too.

In my world, saying that I want to be godly seems self-righteous. How backwards!

In cinema and song, we have elevated unholy living to a place of worship. How weird it is for a movie to be about a loving married couple. And the rock arenas fill with fans who idolize people prancing on stage often in mockery of their very own creator. This is my culture.

He Sustains Me

But He has called me to be in the world yet not of the world. “Be godly,” He says.

And knowing I am a child of God and that He is cleaning me up, that's contentment.

The Lord said to his people, the enemy is coming but fear not, I am handling it. Contentment.

He provides for me. He sustains me. He puts my feet on a solid rock.

And He tells me to be godly. Godliness and contentment. They go together.

A Handful of Smoke

Here’s what happened: Adam's sin (my sin), made any hope of contentment like trying to grab a handful of smoke.

Except... Jesus has restored this. Now, I can be both godly and content. I can know he is taking care of me, my family, my neighbors, my church, and my world.

If I am not content, I can ask Him and He answers. He might say, you aren't godly, so you can't be content. And I will plead for Him to make me a godly man, trusting in Him.

And He answers. Today. In fact, before it is on my lips, He is working already.

And in this is gain. Not in acting like movie stars and rock stars. But by acting like Jesus. This is great gain.

Lord help me value what is actually "gain." Help me to not lust for the world's lies. Fill me with your Spirit. Show me how to walk in the light. Today. May I be godly and content. And may you answer this in ways beyond what I can hope or imagine. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3