Being Anxious for Nothing - Philippians 4:6-7

 


Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with gratitude, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will protect your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6‭-‬7
.

What characterizes a believer? A believer in Jesus is anxious for nothing. I love how the scripture uses words like "nothing." It leaves no out, no wiggle room. The bible says it, so this is possible for me. I CAN be anxious for nothing.

How? In everything. Here's another one of those words: everything. Here's the list -- prayer and supplication, gratitude, and make requests known to God.

Prayer is talking to God, not just saying words, but consciously talking to Him. What is supplication? The dictionary says, "the action of asking or begging for something earnestly or humbly." This looks to me like I am to bug God. But with a good attitude, humbly.

With gratitude. That means not holding resentment. Especially not against God. And I can hold resentments against God. I have often come to Him with a resentful heart, entitled. He is the potter; I am the clay. 

I must come with gratitude.

Putting it together: I must pray, talk to God, not just mouth some words, but know he's with me, listening, and hearing me. But I must keep at it, bugging Him with a humble and gracious heart.

How do I get there? I need help with that sometimes. I have to write and talk to  trusted, mature Christians. I must be open, no denial. I have to pray about my own ungrateful attitude. I need conviction. And repentance. I need humble power to do this. He's up all night long to help me!

Now? His peace, which is beyond understanding, protects my heart and mind. There goes the anxiety.

This looks simple. Why is it hard? Because I have laid down unhealthy, sinful pathways in my mind which work against godly thinking. Now I must turn around and with God's help, lay down humble, grateful prayer. This He loves to answer!

Lord, help build in me a humble, powerful prayer life. May it begin today. Teach me through your gracious word to be anxious for nothing. Your peace is not just something that would be nice to have. I must have it. For it protects me. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22