Do Not Be Agitated - Psalm 37:7-8


Be silent before the Lord and wait expectantly for him; do not be agitated by one who prospers in his way, by the person who carries out evil plans. Refrain from anger and give up your rage; do not be agitated — it can only bring harm. 

Psalms 37:7-8

Who am I in Christ? Let's start by listing the verbs in this short passage.

1. Be silent

2. Wait

3. Not agitated

4. Refrain from anger

5. Give up rage

Being silent before the Lord first of all implies that I am with Him, that I recognize His presence. That means that sometimes I can simply sit with Him and not pile on with an onslaught of words. I'm silent.

I'm trusting, know that He is God. 

And I'm waiting. There is a peaceful stillness in it. There is trust. To wait patiently is to trust. 

What if I'm a mess? I can be silent and wait even in my mess, right?  In fact, the act of getting that quiet, which I might not have done in a long, long time, the act alone can begin to bring some sanity.

I don't know about you, but I can run from one thing to another so fast that I never feel rested. Even when I get the opportunity maybe I turn toward entertainment or work. I watch this thing. Or pull out that. 

One of the great privileges for believers in Jesus is this: woven into the fabric of our faith is a day of rest. And even on that day we often pack so much into it that we can't possibly be silent before the Lord. 

I can be silent and wait. What a blessing!

Not agitated. He repeats this twice in these two verses. The original Hebrew words for agitated are slightly different. 

The first use of the word agitated, "Charah" (חָרָה), means to burn or be kindled with anger. It can also mean to be hot, to blaze up, or to be incensed. (Hey, I wonder if it's related to our English word: char?) (biblehub.com/text/psalms/37-7.htm)

In the second use of the word, "Chamah" (חָמָה) means to be hot or furious with anger. It can also mean to rage, to be inflamed, or to be indignant. Charah and chamah. (biblehub.com/text/psalms/37-8.htm)

So in the first usage of the word, we get this idea of heating up. Do you ever feel yourself get agitated where it starts slowly, and then, wham! you're off to the races? I do. It can feel like, "Where did that come from?" I was fine. I allowed a little heat. Now all of a sudden I'm gone.

The second word, Chamah, also deals with this idea of heat, but now it suggests rage. So the Psalmist has intensified the meaning here. 

Do not be agitated He says. 

Watch this: He is saying it is possible for me to not be agitated. What? Right. I don't have to get agitated. It's a choice I make. I don't have to put my tea kettle on to boil. I can be calm.

Be silent before the Lord. Wait on Him. Don't be agitated. 

Don't be agitated by what? The evil person who seems to prosper. 

The passage is getting me right where it hurts here. It stirs right down into the soul of my mess.

In my work, I often deal with angry, unruly people. And I can get so agitated. But here's the thing: I have other choices. 

Here I am piping hot and ready to boil. Why? Because I go here and there and don't get quiet before the Lord. I worry about the angry people. I get worried, agitated, and furious. When I'm before the Lord, I remember that He is in charge. I remember that I am not God. He is the mover and shaker. And since He loves me, I don't have to have it all figured out. 

He's telling me here that sometimes, it's going to look like people are getting away with murder, yet He IS working. They don't ultimately get away with it. And some of them get saved out of their mess. 

I think it's vital to remember that I must be before the Lord if I'm not going to get agitated. 

The verse goes on to say, refrain from anger. He's doubling down on this idea. Just in case I didn't get it already. 

Why does the Psalmist do that? 

Because I can be a blockhead. I have to hear things a few times. I have to hear him tell me how important it is. He tells me by repeating himself with different phrases and words. 

He even tells me the result of my agitation... "It can only bring harm." 

That's sobering. 

I am a child of the one true king. I'm not the court fool. But I can sure act like it. And when, like a fool, I give full vent to my anger, I can bring harm. It's only by His mercy I haven't caused more. 

But He is gracious, forgiving, and healing. Amen. I can wait on Him and trust Him today.

Lord, I need your mercy and help to be calm. I need your grace to come into your presence and be silent before you, to wait on you. I ask Your forgiveness for how I have allowed myself to become so agitated recently. I feel like I've gone around like a mangey, wet cat, not slowing down enough to recognize your presence. Lord, I seek your face. I seek humility. I ask for your grace. Blessed be the Name of the Lord. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3