Haven't Stopped Praying (a prayer devotional) - Colossians 1:9-14


For this reason also, since the day we heard this, we haven’t stopped praying for you. We are asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding, so that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, so that you may have great endurance and patience, joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the saints’ inheritance in the light. He has rescued us from the domain of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son he loves. In him we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:9-14

*I learned how to do this from Donald Whitney’s Book Praying the Bible.


I am a man who can easily pray shallow prayers. Over and over. Snore. 


And it’s not that they should be filled with poetry and King James language like I used to hear in my youth when people prayed (but they were probably praying the words of scripture and most people used the King James back then). 


My prayers need to be filled with an understanding that God is King of King and Lord of Lords. That He made everything that exists. That He loves me and expects me to obey Him. That He helps me do that and wants me to depend upon Him.


Let's look at this prayer of the apostle Paul from the book of Colossians and use it to guide and inform our own prayers. Of course, I am the one praying today. But I invite you to pray through the verses even before you read the following.


Praying for You

Lord, there should be people in my life that I pray for and keep praying for. Paul says, “We have not stopped praying for you.” Lord help me expand my prayer life so that there would be people who I pray for and keep praying for in the Spirit. My family, my friends, the pastor and elders of my church. My coworkers. Lord, show me how to organize my life and be disciplined to do this.


Lord, right now, I pray for anyone reading these words. I pray that you would fill them with the knowledge of your will for them in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. Lord, thank you for these words from the book of Colossians. The word all just strikes me here. All wisdom and spiritual understanding. Lord, what a gift that would be for all of your children. 


I ask for this divine knowledge for those I pray for today, and of course, I ask that I would have it too!


Worthy of You

Lord, may everyone who reads this walk worthy of you, fully pleasing to you. Oh what rich and glorious words from the apostle. Lord, all believers want to walk with you, to walk in the light, to walk in the Spirit. May everyone who reads these words today, do that. Even if it is a struggle. If it is a struggle, may they stay in the fight and keep at it like Jacob until they surrender. 


And fully pleasing to you. Oh, that we may, in these dark days, be fully pleasing to you. If the apostle prays it, that means I can, in the power of the Holy Spirit within me, be fully pleasing to you. 


It is possible because with God all things are possible. And it is easy in the power of the Spirit. It is impossible if I try to row through an ocean of doubt and accusation to get there. Lord, take over. Empower me. 


Now Paul says, “bearing fruit in every good work and growing in the knowledge of God.” Lord, I see it. Through your servant Paul, you used the word every. Bearing fruit in every good work. Lord may we be full of good works. I know I can be so selfish. I can get all into what I want. Lord, give me the grace to lift up my eyes and see the needs all around me and respond. 


Grow in the Knowledge

And may we grow in the knowledge of God. We are not done. We have more to learn about you from your word and from the world you have given us to live in than we could learn in a lifetime. Lord, the apostle prays for it for these people he loves. Lord bless us with such a gift of growth.


He says, “being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might.” Lord strengthen my pastor, my elders, members of my church, my friends, my family, and all who read this or hear this today. Lord, show us how to pray with all of the understanding of who you are. Lord, may we trust you in our prayers. Give me the grace to accept that you love me this much, to strengthen me with all power according to your glorious might. I have many times not trusted that you really wanted to strengthen me like this. I thought I was too insignificant. But all of your children are significant. All have good works and ministry to do. Open our eyes, Lord. Show us that we can risk taking you at your word. 


“So that you may have great endurance and patience…” Lord, these words are sobering. And we do live in a dark day. We are like King David, surrounded by enemies on all sides. And it can all look so grim. You gift us with these difficult times to strengthen our faith, to build in us great (not a little) endurance and patience. Your children, through the ages, have time after time, shown grace in times of tribulation. Lord, we need that now. 


Joyfully Giving Thanks

Paul continues and says, “joyfully giving thanks to the Father.” May I, may all of us joyfully give thanks to the Father, to Jesus, to the Holy Spirit. May we be a thankful, gracious people, who love you, your word, and your people. May thanksgiving be on our lips, richly. Lord, fill us with thanksgiving that we never knew we had. May we be thankful, being filled with peace and comfort, even in days of great trouble. 


Speaking of God the apostle says, “who has enabled you to share in the saints’ inheritance in the light.” Lord, we do share in this royally divine inheritance. You have chosen us to be your people. And it’s not just some huge party or rock concert. There is patience and endurance. But it is an inheritance of light. Lord, we long to walk in the light. To know we are doing it. And to seek that light. Lord, show us your light in your word. Help us grow. May we not walk like toddlers (unless that’s what we need), but may we walk like men and women who want to be like you, who want to please you. 


Verse 13 says, “He has rescued us from the domain of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son he loves.” Lord, you have rescued us. We were hopelessly lost, now we are filled with hope. A rich, deep, and joyful hope. I easily forget that I was a prisoner in the domain of darkness. You reached right down into that pit of despair and plucked me out. I am now yours. I have been rescued. Hallelujah. I went from that unholy kingdom into the kingdom of Jesus, whom the Father loves. Lord, forgive me for I forget that I am, right now, a citizen of this kingdom. Lord, help me live like it. You love the Son. You love me, you love us too. 


“In him we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Praise the Lord, I have redemption. I have been bought with a price. And my sins are forgiven. Now, I can enjoy fellowship with You and with your people across the globe. I know you today. 


Blessed be the Name of the Lord. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3