Love and the World - 1 John 1:9-10 and 2:15

 



If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say, “We have not sinned,” we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:9-10

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15

Am I Sunk?

As a follower of Christ, I read and learn from the bible. It’s part of who I am. Christians are the people of the book.

And one of the things I learn from the Bible, in this case the apostle John, is that I have sinned. It happens. And when it happens, we must confess it. We confess it. He cleanses us.

I’m starting with that because the next part is heavy if I read it apart from understanding that.

Believers do not love the world nor the things in the world. Gulp.

If I love the world (and the things of the world), the love of the Father is not in me.

I struggle with my love of the world and the things of the world so much. So then, I’m sunk, right?

See, I can think of all kinds of worldly things that I love. Game over?

At first glace it looks like that.

But no.

Struggle

I’m an American and we throw that word ‘love’ around way to casually.

Do I love the world in this sense? I don’t think so.

I struggle.

If I love the world, there’s not a struggle; there’s acceptance of the world.

I don’t accept. I don’t claim. I don’t pursue the things of the world.

I am a child of God. And I do struggle. Do I sin? Yes. Do I find myself wanting the things of the world. Yes. When the Holy Spirit convicts me, do I respond to Him? Yes. Immediately always? Sadly, no.

He is working on me. He is in this for the long haul. And here’s the crazy part, He knew what He was getting into when He called me!

Does that mean I ignore this verse from John about loving the world. No sir.

Are there people who thought they loved God but really didn’t. Sure. I think I’ve met some. Their lives take a sharp turn and they quit. They never did love Him.

Powerful Confession

Can those people fool themselves and others?

Sure.

Can we know that we love God? Yes. Romans 8:16 says, “The Spirit himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God’s children…”

The men and women of God are troubled by their sin. They grow in maturity. They may even have seasons where their lives are a complete and utter mess. But they keep turning to Him. They need Him. They know they need Him.

The Children of God feel convicted when they sin.

Does this verse about loving the world make me rethink some of what I’ve been doing and wanting? Yes (Lord, may I be content). He uses His word to convict.

So if I find myself loving the world, what do I do?

Go back to the first verse: confess my sin. And what does God do? He cleanses me from all unrighteousness. 
 
What if I keep struggling? Then, I must keep confessing. Some sinful desires are harder to quit than others. They’ve become real strongholds. I must depend upon the Lord in these.

And I can confess to others too. There needs to be someone or two in my life who I can tell. The book of James says, “Confess your faults one to another and pray for one another that you may be healed.”

See this confession stuff is powerful.

Lord, the desires of the world have tempted me. I confess to you. You have already cleansed me. And when you died, the book of Colossians says that you took away my debt, nailing it to the cross. I am free. I can practice loving You until I get better at it, leaving the love of the world far behind me. You are faithful. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3