Lord, Show Us Favor - Psalm 123:2-3

 


 

Like a servant’s eyes on his master’s hand, like a servant girl’s eyes on her mistress’s hand, so our eyes are on the Lord our God until he shows us favor. Show us favor, Lord, show us favor, for we’ve had more than enough contempt. Psalms 123:2-3

Remind Me Who He Is

As a believer in Jesus, I must speak those truths that remind me who He is. Who He really is.

I so easily imagine that God is an angry fire-breathing person, ready to stomp on me as soon as I get out of line. Satan loves for me to pray to that one, for he knows the damage it does. When I see God this way, I hide. I fill up with fear and resentment.

This is not the loving Creator who breathed the breath of life into me.

I love that when Adam sinned, God went walking, calling to Him. He didn’t come on like the Wizard of Oz.

Nor is God the one preached in so many churches who wants me to be rich and comfortable, wants me to believe in myself (follow your heart) no matter how sinful and unrepentant. Don’t get me wrong, I am to live an abundant life in the joy of the Lord. Abundant in joy, in grace, in peace, in hope, in love. Gold is an optional blessing.

His Favor

I like the way this Psalm shows God.

First, it shows godly people. What are they doing? Watching God’s hands. This is a picture of obedience, and these people are serving.

They are in relationship with Him. They aren’t rubbing a lamp and asking for wishes.

They watch His hands because they love Him, and they know He loves them. They know they matter to Him.

They know He is all powerful. He is also all-knowing, so He knows best.

See, they’ve had it hard; they’ve had more than enough of contempt.

And they seek His favor.

They know that He loves to give good gifts to His children. So they ask Him for favor.

I am a Child of God; I get to ask Him for favor. Especially in the context of doing His will, serving Him.

He Is Faithful

And if I don’t feel like I’m serving Him, I can ask Him to help me be that person. And by the way, sometimes I am serving Him but don’t realize it. For instance, when I change diapers, I serve Him. Okay, when I do it as unto the Lord, right?

The servants in the Psalm wait upon the Lord. “Our eyes are upon the Lord until You show us favor.” Their eyes are upon the Lord, until… Patient hope. Not anger. Not bitterness.

And when I’ve found myself holding on to bitterness, I confess. I ask for His help. And He answers. He is faithful. Today.

Lord Jesus, My eyes are upon You today. Show me, my family, my believing friends, anyone reading this who trusts in you, favor. Lord there is no favor without You. You are the only one who blesses. I need you today. Teach me to watch Your hands, to look only to you for favor. You love to give good gifts to your children. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22