He Cannot Rescue Himself - Isaiah 44:20


He feeds on ashes. His deceived mind has led him astray, and he cannot rescue himself, or say, “Isn’t there a lie in my right hand?” Isaiah 44:20

Act Like an Idolater

As a child of God, I am not by definition, an idolater. I worship the triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 

But I can act like an idolater (1 John 5:21). I can slip into that mindset. I can notice how close up those idols are, so real looking, and how far away God seems. 

Why would I latch onto such a fabrication? I do that to justify my desire to eat the forbidden fruit. I want it, but God said, “You shall not…” But with a little mental maneuvering, I can “believe” that I am doing the right thing. 

But even when I act like that as a child of God, that is not who I truly am. 

I am a born-again lover of God, obedient, joyful, hopeful, grateful and more. That’s who I really am. 

God has not given me a Spirit of fear but one of power, love and a sound mind, right? That’s right. 

Feast of Ashes

And even though, I’ve been blessed with so great a treasure, I can drum up a big bored yawn. It makes no sense, but I can. 

But see, that’s not who I am.

Now, when I do act the part of an idolater, I can take on this appearance for a time. 

As the verse says, I can feed on ashes. 

Okay, why in my right mind would I ever do something like that. Why would I exchange my birthright life for a sin supper?

Why eat the ashes? 

Because my (temporarily) deceived mind can lead me astray. 

I can think I’m enjoying the feast of all feasts. It tastes so good. But God is not mocked (Galatians 6:7). That ashy taste will come through in the end. I’ll be coughing and yacking.

And I might think I can get myself out of this mess. 

But I can’t. I can’t rescue myself. 

I can’t see the lie for what it is. Without the Holy Spirit, I will keep right on lying to myself.

Jesus Died for a Dead Man

God is my rescuer. 

Originally, when I was dead in my sin, Jesus died for me.

Even still, as a born again child of God, when I’ve run off to spend my inheritance, He rescues me. 

He’ll let me live the pain until I depend upon Him. He’ll let me hurt. He’ll let me cry. 

But He’s right here. And in my darkest moment. All I have to do is turn to Him and say, “Lord, help me. This is not who I am. I am your son, Your child. You adopted me. Help me now!”

I can’t rescue myself, but he rescues me again and again. And once again, I know that I am loved.

Lord, I worship you. In those moments when I am tempted to worship an idol of my own or someone else’s imagination, help me. I want to be one hundred percent yours. You didn’t call me to be a half-son, sometimes your child and sometimes an idolater. No, I am fully yours. And yet, if I lose my mind and fall to temptation, rescue me. That I may hope securely in you forever. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3