The Lord Counsels Me - Psalm 16:7-8

 



I will bless the Lord who counsels me — even at night when my thoughts trouble me. I always let the Lord guide me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Psalm 16:7‭-‬8


When I Was Troubled

Psalm 16 got me out of a bad place a few days ago. It was one of those days where I felt like pulling my head into my shell and pretending I was okay.

I realized it (relatively quickly) and knew I couldn't stay there.

A divine interruption gave me a few minutes to pause, and I prayed through Psalm 16.

It says, "I will bless the Lord who counsels me."

Is that just a promise for the Psalmist? No, I think not. Why? Because the Psalms are meant to be read, sung, and even memorized by Israel and the church.

The Lord is MY counselor. And not just when I (think I) have it all together. He's my counselor at night when I am troubled.

God Doesn't Ignore Me

Then, he says, "I ALWAYS let the Lord guide me." See, that gives me a goal in my walk with the Lord. To always let the Lord guide me. I'm not there yet.

Who am I in Christ? At my best, I let the Lord guide me. I remember the reruns of the old black and white Superman show. Clark Kent would say, "This looks like a job for Superman!" Then, he would take of his glasses and fly out of the room.

But see, that's what I do wrong. I wait until I think I really need the Lord's help. What if I didn't wait? What if I regularly, consistently ran to Him, praying without ceasing? How would that affect my daily walk?

I'm going to be honest with you. I can only guess. Sure, I pray daily, but I realize that I want more guidance! And He says come on in. He's open.

The result according to the Psalm is to not be shaken. Hey, it is not wise for me to stand on my own.

I am not bothering Him when I talk to Him. I can go to Him, and go to Him, and go to Him. He won't ignore me.

Lord, show me how to seek your guidance always. Teach me. I want to be all-in, growing. I want to trust you and not be shaken, today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22