Why Study the Bible? - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

 



All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16‭-‬17

Believers study the bible for good reason.

Believers study scripture. And for good reason.

It teaches us.
It scolds us (that's what reproof is).
It corrects us.
It trains us in righteousness.
We need all of that. We need to learn. We learn when we hear a truth and fit it in with what we know. The more we already know, the more new learning will impact our every action. The New Testament writers were constantly pointing to the Old Testament. Many of their listeners knew scripture.

The bible scolds. The word reproof is probably even stronger than the word scold. I often think of scolding as a bad thing. I feel mistreated. But I know I've often learned much from a swift kick. I think it works when it comes from a place of love. God is love. Even when He disciplines me.

Equipped

Scripture corrects. What a blessing! What would happen to a plane in the sky that didn't get corrected? It would never find the runway. Pilots are constantly correcting for wind, weather, and the weight of the aircraft. I must be corrected. God corrects those whom He loves.

The word also trains me in righteousness. As a believer, I do have His law written on my heart. But I still need help. When I run from Him like Jonah, I need even more help. When I read scripture, His word syncs with the law written on my heart, and I know the truth.

Why do I need all of this? To be equipped. For what? EVERY good work. That's the goal that I get to all of them (to every good work). Like a shortstop fielding grounders, I want all of them. Yet, I miss many.

Lord, do a complete work in me. Don't do half. Do it all. I need it all. When I shy away from even a little of your word, I quickly go far astray. Keep correcting me! Equip me for every good work and give me the desire to work it! Today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3