Prepare for Action - 1 Peter 1:13-14


Prepare for Action (audio)

Therefore prepare your minds for action. Be sober-minded. Set your hope fully on the grace to be given you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not conform to the passions of your former ignorance. But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do, for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:13-16

Be Real

The Lord tells me to prepare my mind. For action. 

What action? Resisting temptation? A need to contend for the faith? Share the gospel? Be kind? These and more for sure!

Be sober-minded: I take that to mean - be real. Don't escape. Stay in the here and now. 

Then the apostle Peter says something fascinating. He says, "Set your hope fully on the grace to be given you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

Setting My Hope

That's a mouthful. Life is painful now, but part of being a believer is setting my hope on what will come later, heaven. There are three phases here: what Jesus did for me in the past, what He is doing now. and what He will do in the future. 

He says that I need to set my hope FULLY. That suggests that if not careful I might do it half way - not sufficient. Go all the way. Trust Him. 

He adds that my obedience matters. But to be obedient, I must confess my sins. I must not hide from God. If I catch myself hiding, I must stop! He is right there to help. Running from Him never gets me anywhere good. 

My former passions are going to call out to me. His answer here is this: be holy. 

This is important because it's something I can set my mind on. I can't do it myself. He must do this. My flesh wants to do it my way. I can even fool myself into thinking I'm doing things His holy way, but it's my flesh.

To walk in the Spirit, I must consciously be with Him. If I don't desire obedience, I must ask Him to change my heart to want it. He fulfills my good desires. 

Lord, help my mind be yours. May I be obedient. When I fail, help me confess it to you. Help me to be with you, in the Spirit. Teach me how. Today.

Blessed be the Name of the Lord. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3