Light of the World - John 8:12


Jesus spoke to them again: “I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life.” John 8:12 CSB

Anyone Who Follows

What do I believe? Do I believe my savior only when it's easy or when it's hard too?

He says He is the light of the world.

That's not too hard to believe.

Then, He says this: Anyone who follows me will never walk in the darkness...

Just about any believer has read that dozens of times if not hundreds.

"Will never walk in darkness."

Why can I feel like I walk in darkness then? I think that's a fair question, right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if I am walking in darkness, it's not because Jesus did something to cause it. I'm going to say the light is always available. But maybe I'm blocking it.

The Light is Right Here

I'm blocking it by believing something that's just plain wrong. Here's one: I can sin this one time, and I'll be good. I'm not going to keep doing it.

Or this: I know He has given me what I need, but I'm not going to take hold of those things. I'm going to maybe read my bible (of which I have dozens of translations available).

Here's another one: I feel tempted, but I'm not going to ask Jesus for help. And I'm not going to call a believing friend on the phone to pray with them.

And this: I'm in despair, but I'm not going to act like it. I'm not going to cry. I'm going to keep it all in. The Psalmists laid it out there when they felt like God was far from them. And they are gifted with beauty, joy, perseverance.

I will never walk in the darkness, but have the light of life. Have. Present tense.

The light is right here. What might I being doing to block it, today?

Lord, I am in despair. I am hurting. I have done all of those things to block your light. You never did it. The light is right here now. Teach me to believe true things about you and myself. My prayer life wants a breath of fresh air. I pray that you would renew it in me. May your Spirit of power, love, and wisdom flow through me, ministering to others. I am not You. I serve you. 

Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3