Life and Peace - Romans 8:6

 



For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 
Romans 8:6

I believed a lie.

There is flesh and spirit. Though he has the Spirit, the believer must still contend with his flesh.

The grace I have, the blessing, is this: I can set my mind on the Spirit. It is possible. I'm not practiced at it.

Why?

Because I got it backwards. I once believed that to set my mind on the Spirit was boring. Yes, I know I said that out loud.

I thought the mind set on the Spirit was monkish: sitting around in silence, contemplating my navel.

That was my impression. I believed a lie.

I can get the flesh and the spirit confused.

There are two choices at any given time, flesh or Spirit.

Being filled with the spirit is not that we must act however we think a monk is supposed to act.

We get to talk to people. We get to have fun with them. We get to eat and enjoy life. None of that takes away from setting our minds on the Spirit.

My mind set on the flesh = selfishness.

An issue I have is that I can get flesh and spirit confused. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's because I'm trying to make myself look good when I do it. Like the time I joined a choir to impress a girl. I was singing the Lord's music. But my mind wasn't set on the Spirit.

But when I'm willing to be honest. (And for me, it can take some work. I can have layers of dishonesty going on inside my mind.)

When my mind is set on the Spirit, it's not about my gain. It's about loving the Lord.

And when my mind is set on the Spirit, I gain life and peace. There's no downside here. The Bible calls it crucifying the flesh.

He does it in me.

Lord, I want life and peace with You. I want to delight in you. I need your help to set my mind on the Spirit. My flesh calls out to me. Help me crucify it with its passions and desires. May I walk in the light. You have said that I am light. Show me how to live like that today. In the Spirit. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22