Greater is He - 1 John 4:4

 



Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Confessing Jesus

One way that I know that I am a believer is that I confess that Jesus is who He says He is, the messiah, the Son of God who died for my sins and rose on the third day.

If you look at 1 John, where it says, “them” John is referring to people who don’t confess Jesus.

But I do. And the more I confess Him, the more I trust Him.

I love the amazing claims that his verse makes.

First it says that I am from God and have over come those (spirits) who don’t confess Jesus. And I think he is mainly talking about people, for we are all spirits moving around in a flesh tractor. My spirit is the real me.

I have, past tense, overcome those spirits who don’t confess Jesus. I’m going to be honest here: I don’t always feel like some big old spiritual overcomer. Some of those people who rail against God and His church, either directly or indirectly, worry me.

He is in me.

But here’s the part that makes getting up out of bed worth it. They might worry me, but they don’t worry the Lord. Not for a second. He doesn’t get worried. And John, the apostle says that I am from God. That is powerful. He is power. He has bought me.

And then he says one of the most jaw dropping things ever quoted from the scripture: “for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”

This is not just something nice to say to a struggling brother or sister; it is true. It is deep. It is powerful. It is encouraging. It tells me who I am in Christ.

Greater is He who is in me than He who is in the world.

Jaw drop. Mike drop. Right?

Of course, it’s not big old me that can do anything.

It’s Him. And He, the Holy Spirit, is in me. And He’s greater than he who is in the world. Meaning the power of Satan.

See, God is winning.

He has won me. And I’m His vessel. Today.

Lord, I struggle to hold on to this truth that greater are You who is in me than he who is in the world. I am not of the world. I am from you. Lord, teach me to reach for this over and over again. May I know deep down, that I am from you and that you have overcome the world. That you empower with me with the Holy Spirit. That you have already won. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

Walking Worthy - Ephesians 4:1-3 (a prayer devotion)

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22