Do I Really Have Everything? 2 Peter 1:3-4

 



His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own to His own glory and excellence. Through these He has given us His precious and magnificent promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, now that you have escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 2 Peter 1:3-4

Precious and Magnificent Promises

I have everything I need for life and godliness. Everything. God has equipped me through the knowledge of Him.

Peter wasn't making this up. He knew the Lord. Peter understood his own battles with faith and sin. He knew what his people were going through.

And I believe him. I have, right now, everything I need.

Through the knowledge of Him. 

So that means increasing the knowledge of Him is important. I can read some scripture every day. I can spend time with other believers. I can go to church where I worship and fellowship.

He has given me precious and magnificent promises. I believe them.

Or do I? Not always. Maybe not even often. Has my belief in His promises been anywhere near constant?

No. I've had moments where my belief opened up like the sky. That's the Lord's grace and mercy. But when things get ugly, I have scurried under a rock.

(Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief. Convict me where I don't believe, so that I can quickly repent and run to you.)

And He is doing a work in His children; that's me too. 

He has called. Sometimes, a part of a verse contains meaning upon meaning. This makes me stop. He has called. What a mercy!

He has called me by His own. That sounds a little vague to me, but I take that to mean that He has called me by Jesus. 

He has called me to His glory and excellence. He shares His bottomless glory and excellence. With me. What?

Why do I treat so great a salvation like it's some ordinary event in my life.

I've heard that Elvis used to give people Cadillacs. Here, have a brand new one. You can have it with all of the options. I don't think that they would drive it home and hide it in the garage. No, they would tell everyone that they saw Elvis, and He gave them a wonderful gift. Elvis gave them a wonderful gift that would only last a few years. 

God has given me a glorious and excellent gift that will last for eternity. I can trust this holy scripture.  He has made this as plain as can be. Let there be no doubt: Jesus loves me.

Wonderful beyond anything anyone else can say...

And now he says that I am a partaker of the divine nature. Do I know what he means? I don't. Yet.

I know it is wonderful beyond anything anyone else can say to me today! It is so wonderful that I am tempted to think that this must be for those other believers who have it all together.

That's not what it says. Hey, all believers are a work in progress. The scripture says that He is perfecting us. Some are not dealing with the doubts, hurts, or hang-ups I have. But they are growing through something.

And I have escaped the corruption caused by evil desires. That means I don't have to have evil desires anymore. When I get tempted, I can say this verse back to the Lord. And HE WILL ANSWER ME.

Lord, help me believe your precious and magnificent promises today. Help me be the believer who is convinced. Root out the accusing voices in my head that deceive me. May I take every thought captive to you. Blessed be the name of the Lord.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3