Not Already Perfected - Philippians 3:12-14

 



Not that I have already attained or have already been perfected, but I follow after it so that I may lay hold of that for which I was seized by Christ Jesus. Brothers, I do not count myself to have attained, but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 3:12‭-‬14

Forgetting Those Things Which Are Behind

The apostle Paul was a believer. Duh. But look, he says, "Not that I have already attained or... been perfected..." He's not perfect. He is still in progress.

So if Paul had not attained the goal, why in the world do I sometimes get so embarrassed that I have messed up, sinned, failed, that I want to hide from God?

How does Paul handle it?

He forgets those things which are behind! I'm going to call that huge. It's huge because I have a habit of carrying around the garbage of my past where Paul knew to toss it out. Paul got that Jesus died for Him and his sins. 

In Motion

I'm letting go of that shame.

But that's not all. I'm reaching forward to the things ahead. I'm in motion. If I sit around, I get moldy, and slip back into my mess.

I must PRESS toward the goal to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Pressing takes some effort.

I'm pressing toward a goal, a prize, a high calling that comes from God.

I'm empowered by Him to do this. God is good.

I am not God. I serve Him. Today.

Lord, be by my side as I let go of the wreckage of my past. Empower me as I reach, and press for what you have set before me. When I get overwhelmed with it, remind me that you are here. Now. Even if I'm messing up. You are here. And you are saying, "Let's get going." Help me remember that. I forget who I am. Help me remember that I am a child of the King, saved by grace, conscripted for Your good pleasure. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3