Humble Power

 



Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:10

Humility: How Can I Do It?

I am the Lord's. He bought me. And He sanctifies me, cleaning me, working on me daily. Hallelujah!

He did it and He now gives me a directive: humble myself. Today. Right now.

How do I do that?

I remember this: for He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust.

He created Adam out of the dust of the ground.

I am dust. The wind blows. I don't control it. I don't control things. I am not God. I serve Him.

I don't control people; I lift them before the Lord. I pray that they do His will. He acts as He will.

When I Am Humble, He Lifts Me Up

He gives me humble power. Humble - I know it's not me. Power - It is the Lord. I can't do. God can do. I welcome Him to do in my life. To fill me up. To do MORE than I can even think to ask.

And it begins to clarify: humility is not dragging myself around, shoulders slumped in shame. Rather, it is being steadfast in the full knowledge that I am a Child of God. And I did nothing to be that. He did it. He is all.

And when I am humble, He lifts me up. Psalm 92 says, "You have exalted my horn..." Psalm 75: "All the horns of the wicked I will cut off, but the horns of the righteous will be exalted."

He does it. Even when He exalts my horn in this manner, I am a servant. A servant He calls friend.

And what a joy it is. Is it a burden? Sure. It's a worthy burden. It's a light burden that He helps carry.

Lord, may I be humble today before you. And when you lift me up, may I never seek a crown. May I see the reward of giving glory to you. May I love this humility. May I be eager for it. Lord, fill me with humble  power in ways that help me to abound in your work with joy. Lord take my anxiety. May your perfect love cast out my fear. Today. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3