That You May Be Able to Endure It - 1 Corinthians 10:13



No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV

Temptation is not sin. I get tempted. Everyone does. It is part of the fabric of being human, even for believers. And I might think that this temptation is unique to me. That I need to work my way through it in my own way. 

That's just my pride. "I got this. No one can help me."

When I try to work it, I end up feeling hopeless. Feeling that others can live a victorious Christian life, but not me. 

I have year upon year of trying to break through my own temptation and sin. 

But wait... He doesn't let me get tempted beyond my ability. "Yes He does!" I secretly think. 

I'm wrong. I know, because when I look at how giving in to my sin happened, I see patterns of thought and even "smaller" sins that led up to the big blowout. I entertained the evil desire before it sprang on me. 

It's like taking care of a cobra and thinking it won't bite me as soon as it can. 

Entertaining the idea of that sin is not using God's way of escape. That's just me laying the groundwork for my own unrighteousness. 

He gives me a way of escape and I push it aside. I think what I want. 

What if I said, "Lord, help me stay clean. Strip away my denial. Convict me. Give me the strength to confess my weakness. Show me the way out." 

What if I run to Jesus? And what if I call a trusted friend to tell them that I'm struggling? 

Lord help me cry out to you when I struggle with temptation. Help me love you in my thoughts. May I depend on your when I just want to run away. Give me the strength to call or text my friends when I'm in trouble. Blessed be the name of the Lord. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in God Alone - Psalm 62:5-8

You Caused - Psalm 71:20-22

Prayers for Everyone - 1 Timothy 2:1-3